Coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world, second only to crude oil. That is why it is important that a cup of Perkee coffee is created using environmentally and ethically sustainable practices.
Perkee’s owner, bartlett mitchell has very strong business ethics and these have been recognised by Sustainable Restaurant Association (SRA) who awarded the company Food Made Good Sustainable Caterer of the Year, three years running.
When bartlett mitchell chose Soppexcca as their coffee partner, sustainability was at the top of their list. The Soppexcca cooperative in Nicaragua is a sustainable business for many reasons:
- The coop is run democratically and promotes gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- They produce their own organic fertiliser using coffee cherry pulp and animal waste.
- Some of the cooperative members are developing systems to recycle the water they use during the bean-washing process.
- They have a programme to preserve the tall shady trees in the coffee plantations, which provide shade and a fertile environment for wildlife, as well as preventing landslides.
- They have been recognised with a sustainability award by the Speciality Coffee Association of America.
We supply Perkee branded Ecoffee cups. They are made with natural, sustainable bamboo fibre. The cups are light and lovely to drink from with no plastic after-taste and are fully dishwasher safe. They are also biodegradable and can be planted in the garden when you have finished with them. We like to encourage our clients to reuse and reduce waste, this is why we offer our branded keep cup.